Friday, March 6, 2009

Puppy Love or the Real Deal

Puppy Love or the Real Deal

How often have we all heard our parents say that we are just too young to know what love truly is? They say things like “five to ten years from now you won’t even remember that boy or girl’s name”. My mother says that I haven’t lived enough to know what true love is. My personal favorite happens to be “it’s only a phase and it will wear off as soon as you meet the next Mr. or Ms. Amazing”. What I want to know is what if it’s not a phase. What if this person is truly the one for you and it doesn’t wear off? Am I to believe that simply because I am seventeen that I haven’t lived enough to know what true love is and I should ignore my feelings for a person? To accept that, I would have to question a person’s definition of the word living. Does it apply to the amount of years you are on this planet or the number of trails you have overcame? Is measured by the amount of times that life has taken your breathe away and made you cry? What says that you have officially “lived enough”? When exactly has a person been able to reach a certain age and say “I now know what love truly is and I can give and receive it correctly”? I have never heard of a person that had to wait until they were a certain age just to feel love. We are the same people year after year; all we do is evolve physically and mentally. We all experience things that should influence a certain amount of change throughout the years, but we must make the choice to change. Just like we make the choice to accept love, there is no age limit on choice making. Therefore, I refuse to believe that a matter of the heart can be measured in the amount of years you are alive. If a person can’t love until they reach a certain age then that means a young adult or child can not truly love their families or themselves for that matter. Is there a lock on the heart that breaks once you’ve “lived enough”? In my opinion the heart does what it wants and I can not accept the assumption that the amount of years you spend on this earth determines your ability to love. I feel people are free to feel what they want from the time they are born until the day they die.

2 comments:

  1. **I like the blog** I agree. I do not believe there is a age on love. The heart does what it wants, rather you want it to or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i honestly like the topic and i can say that you can not put an aga limit on love, because as you stated:
    "If a person can’t love until they reach a certain age then that means a young adult or child can not truly love their families or themselves for that matter", i feel that is honestly true. Nice Blog

    ReplyDelete