Friday, March 20, 2009

Ghetto Names

Ghetto: (noun) place of low economic standard; slums, projects.
Being ghetto: obnoxious, loud, and ignorant

Having a name that doesn’t appear in the back of the dictionary as a common sometimes is seen as being ghetto. A name is often given to a newborn as a form of identity; it could be a special meaning or a family tradition, but some people make up the names of their children. Where do these names come from? Parents create the names of their children based on the names of both parents. For example, James and Kayla may name their Jayla. Another example of a so-called ghetto name would be Alize’, which may so happen to be the name of the parents favorite drink.
Society stereotype people by their names. Unfortunately, having a non- European name is considered to be ghetto. Having a “ghetto” name is often associated with being African-American. At a high school in Covina, California, a group of African-American students’ names were changed in the yearbook as part of a prank. Although the students whose names were changed were African American, the administrators thought that the names were racist simply because the names were changed to names that were too hard to pronounce.
People often pre-judge people based on their names. Some people think that whether or not you get a good job or not depends on your name. It has been said that employers often look at a person’s name and if it is “ghetto” then that person will not get hired. For instance, Stephanie and Kasheka both apply for a job as an administrative assistant for a large corporation; if a survey was taken on who would most likely get the job, most people would automatically think that Stephanie would because she has a common name.
Being ghetto is just a name that is associated with being poor. But just because a person is poor and lack economic status, it should not define who someone is. Just because a person has a name that many people have a hard time pronouncing, that does not mean that that person is uneducated, lacks manners, or is a bad person. It just means that their parents liked the name for whatever reason.

- Antonique

4 comments:

  1. Overall, this is a good paper and it touches on a good subject. However, it would have generated a more effective approach if you had a set of stats to support your argument, like a link to where I could see some hard evidence to support your claim, which is a common view

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AGREE,
    THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT I AM AWARE OF, BUT DIDN'T KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT IT. I FEEL AS THOUGH A LITTLE MORE EVIDENCE WOULD HAVE MADE IT A GREAT PAPER... TRY INCLUDING SOME PERSONAL CONNECTIONS OR SOMETHING. OTHER THAN THAT THOUGH, I REALLY LIKED IT...;-)!! PEOPLE OFTEN TIME TRY TO MIS-PRONOUNCE MY NAME, WHICH I FEEL IS RUDE IN A WAY, MY NAME DEFINES WHO I AM AS AN INDIVIDUAL, AND I REFUSE TO ALLOW ANYONE TO DISRESPECT ME MY DISRESPECTIN MY NAME AND ITS ORIGINS...SMOOCHES!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that you made a good point. I do think that people should be able to name their children anything they want but you have to remember that when it comes down to getting a job you have to think about the corporate world. People just need to be more aware of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understood what the writer's agrument was but there was not any facts to back it up. She could have also provided two sides of the story instead of one.Yes, I do believe there is a discrimination in society however, in a professional setting, I believe you must be professional. Personally, if I were choosing the position and both Stephanie and Kasheka had the exact same resume and skills, I would choose Stephanie... Sorry.

    ReplyDelete