Parental Support: Does It Count?
When you are growing up it is important to have the proper amount of guidance and support to make important decisions. Being a high school student is not the easiest thing to do. It is a time in a person’s life when they are tested the most. A lot of teenagers in my generation do not get the right amount of support and/or guidance needed from home. Most of them live in single parent homes with working parents. Some of them have two parents at home but they are just simply not supportive. Most of these students become discouraged and quit or do poorly in school. This is not at all a negative attack towards parents nor is it an excuse for students that do poorly in school. This is simply the curiosity of a senior in high school. I live in a single parent home and I honestly feel that I do not get the amount of support needed from my working mother. As a result of this for a short amount of time I became discouraged and felt that no one cared if I did well or not. My mother seemed to be always tired and only wanted to complain about work. I felt like everything I did was wrong. However, I had to realize that my education is my responsibility. My mother works hard so that I can have all the things necessary to get to and from school. That being said, I still can not help but to wonder if it is only me that became discouraged after feeling not supported by my mother, or are there other students or teenagers out there that feel the same way as I do. Going away to college can be the scariest thing in a teenager’s life. It is truly a time where a person really needs some sort of support. With all of that being said, once again, I propose this question: What happened to a teenager’s confidence when his/her parent or guardian is not at all supportive or active in their education? In my opinion that can cause the person to lose focus for a while, but it is up to that teenager to make a mature decision to overcome this obstacle and succeed.
When you are growing up it is important to have the proper amount of guidance and support to make important decisions. Being a high school student is not the easiest thing to do. It is a time in a person’s life when they are tested the most. A lot of teenagers in my generation do not get the right amount of support and/or guidance needed from home. Most of them live in single parent homes with working parents. Some of them have two parents at home but they are just simply not supportive. Most of these students become discouraged and quit or do poorly in school. This is not at all a negative attack towards parents nor is it an excuse for students that do poorly in school. This is simply the curiosity of a senior in high school. I live in a single parent home and I honestly feel that I do not get the amount of support needed from my working mother. As a result of this for a short amount of time I became discouraged and felt that no one cared if I did well or not. My mother seemed to be always tired and only wanted to complain about work. I felt like everything I did was wrong. However, I had to realize that my education is my responsibility. My mother works hard so that I can have all the things necessary to get to and from school. That being said, I still can not help but to wonder if it is only me that became discouraged after feeling not supported by my mother, or are there other students or teenagers out there that feel the same way as I do. Going away to college can be the scariest thing in a teenager’s life. It is truly a time where a person really needs some sort of support. With all of that being said, once again, I propose this question: What happened to a teenager’s confidence when his/her parent or guardian is not at all supportive or active in their education? In my opinion that can cause the person to lose focus for a while, but it is up to that teenager to make a mature decision to overcome this obstacle and succeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment