Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It’s Time for Us to Wake Up!

Many people wonder whether or not the double standard is still in existence today, as they ask; “Are men being treated differently than women?” This is the question that is being asked, and it can easily be answered.
In the society in which we live in today, women are often time ridiculed and discriminated against if they have promiscuous ways. Unlike men, who on the other hand, are seen as pimps. This is an issue that has been in our mist for over four centuries now, and sadly, nothing has changed. People are too busy judging one another to actually take the time out to examine the real problem at hand. In Egypt civilization, Greek, French and even Roman, women were treated like queens. Of course the king ruled the empire, but it was the queen who was really in control behind the scenes. I personally feel as though both men and women should be treated equally. But think about this, if women weren’t given themselves up so easily, then they wouldn’t be labeled as whores and men wouldn’t be labeled as pimps. Now I understand that there are two sides to every story, but what I am doing today is simply stating the obvious. There are women out here that are being raped, and no one is judging those women that want to have multiple sex partners, I am just saying that women are the ones in control here. We decide who we will and will not have relations with.
We need to ask ourselves; “What does it mean to be a woman?” Or even more specific, what does it mean to be a black woman? I am in no way, shape or form a racist. I love all the people of the world equally, I simply put somewhat of an emphasis on my beautiful black brothers and sisters. I feel as though, we as a people have endured a great deal of psychic trauma, and as a result, we have become psychologically damaged. A book that I read once, titled The Goddess Black woman: Mother of Civilization, by Akil, had to have been one of the greatest books that I would come across in my life. The woman is seen as the mother of civilization and a child’s first teacher. Now if this is true, why is it that we should be somewhat worried? Well, I’ll tell you. A woman is to be valued, cherished as if she is a rare gem. But today, that isn’t the case. It’s sad that we as a people would have to resort to a double standard of living. What we need to be doing is trying to find a way to get out of that mindset and way of thinking. But where do we start?

1 comment:

  1. This was an eye opener for me as a young black woman and I enjoyed reading this...

    ReplyDelete