Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Path

Your past is the foundation of your future. How you are raised and the values bestowed upon you will finally develop as you grow as a person. Growing up in a neighborhood where young black females are either pregnant, on-drugs, or confused with no futures or dreams, these values are not only appreciated but needed. My journey to become the lady that I am today was not easy. Temptation and peer pressure did its job. As I look back, I remember how I overcame every obstacle and accomplished many goals during my high school years, always keeping in mind the knowledge that was passed down upon me.
My journey began my freshman year. I wanted to fit in. A follower, one might say, I agree. I hung around with people I thought were my friends and did my best to stay in the “in crowd”. I was soon surrounded by drugs, sex and alcohol. Though I was intelligent, I began to take my education for granted and did what I wanted to, instead of, what I should.
One day before school, we were all standing outside and they decided to smoke. They knew I did not smoke, but they insisted that I join. I declined, and watched them for a while. As I watched, I remembered what my grandmother use to tell me, "Association brings on assimilation", and I realized that I was smarter than that. The people that I stood there with were not my friends. They did not care about their futures, better yet mines.
Sophomore year, I turned my life in another direction. I moved along and my true friends came with. We became leaders of our own lives. I decided to buckle down on my grades and was greatly awarded. Now that I am a senior, I’m proud of myself. Though I’ve lost “friends” and felt alone at times, I came out a winner. I do not regret my past or the path I choose to follow, because those trials only made my skin tougher and made me more focused. In the fall of 2009, my journey will continue, I will be entering college. I will make the transition successful and not become overwhelmed and I feel like I have to follow someone else, to build me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment